Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fantasy reality: better to take a loss today

It's the logical thing to do.

Our Pupule League has an unusual format: 21-player rosters, 17 starters required. (I forgot to expand rosters before the draft to 23 players, but that's another issue.)

Problem for me today is that my team has 6 players with byes. That leaves two pukas in my starting lineup. One of my players with bye weekends is Kurt Warner. Another is Donovan McNabb. That means I'm playing with only one QB (Drew Brees) instead of two.

It sucks. But the best alternative, aside from cutting Le'Ron McClain (not gonna do it) is to cut Donovan McNabb and pick up Derek Anderson, who got back on track last week against the Giants. After much thought, I just can't pull the trigger. Anderson has been erratic, even with the 310-yard, 2-TD game last week. (He did it without TE Kellen Winslow.)

Now, McNabb sits on my bench behind Brees and Warner, and he's got just eight TDs (and 3 picks) in his last four games. He's not the same without Brian Westbrook (injury), but effective enough. Why would I care about keeping him when he never starts for me? I like the insurance. The pickings on the free-agent list would get real slim after another team scoops up McNabb if I were to cut him.

I'll wait it out. If Anderson is still available down the road and any of my QBs get hurt, then it's a go.

For now, I'll move on with two holes in my lineup today. My brother's team, the Kimokazes, projects to score 51 more points than me today.

Kimo, you can thank me later.

No comments: